The former F.N. Burt Box Factory building, once the largest box factory in the world, has undergone a historic restoration. The project converted it into a luxury building with 100 residential lofts, office space, commercial space including two restaurants, European bistro, bakery, fitness center, spa, three story indoor atrium and an outdoor courtyard.
Originally built in 1901, the building is located in the historic Hydraulics District, which was Buffalo’s earliest manufacturing area dating back to the 1820’s. The original hardwood floors of the indoor atrium were discovered during construction and are being restored. Additional beneficial elements for all tenants include abundant natural lighting from large windows, exterior balconies found throughout the building, and greenery on the interior and exterior to promote a year round connection to nature and overall well-being.
Centrally located in downtown Buffalo, the developer is encouraging sustainable urban living with the reuse of an existing structure along with inclusion of indoor bike storage, a bike repair facility and custom made bike racks on the exterior.
The large scale adaptive reuse development project demonstrates the transformation of post-industrial architecture and the changing dynamics of an urban lifestyle in a Legacy City.