The 1360 Niagara Street project, known locally as the “Mentholatum Co. Building,” is a daylight factory building designed by local Buffalo architect George Townsend.
The project is located within an industrial setting along the Niagara River and Buffalo’s Belt Line.
Constructed in 1919, it is a four-story, 86,000 sf concrete frame structure that has been converted into a mixed-use building housing 51 one- and two-person apartment units, a basement level parking garage and a small commercial component to the north.
The project is eligible for State and National Historic Registers and has pursued historic tax credits. As part of the project scope of work, it reintroduced sill-to-ceiling daylight fenestration at the facades (within the original concrete frame openings), while portions of key interior areas identified as historically significant were maintained, restored and incorporated into areas of proposed apartment layouts and general building use.